Friday 17 August 2012

The Great Cricket Festival


I confess at the very beginning that unlike other girls I am a cricket freak. My Grandfather played in the Ranji Trophy and my father was an accomplished cricketer at club level. I also played gully cricket with the boys and smashed quite a few window glasses in my time. And now I am getting geared up for the big 129 days Cricket bonanza that is coming our way. Starting August 23 India take on New Zealand and play 2 Tests and 2 T20 matches; followed by T20 World Cup 2012 n the middle of September and Champions League Twenty20 2012 in early October. I do not understand why my boss or fellow female colleagues find a girl pestering for a TV to watch the matches at the office surprising? Sure I have my LG 3D TV to watch the match to my heart’s content at home in the evening and during weekends but why miss the action during week days? Taking of LG I saw on their Facebook page that are running a contest with ICC awards where they offer 5 free tickets daily to Srilanka.

Cricket is not just a sport in our country, it is religion. And the best part; it is a faith that ask no abstinence but indulgence. Be it pizza joints, take away meals establishments, liquor shops, restaurants, bars – everyone has a rocking time thanks to cricket. And the win of Team India ensures an all night party. I still recall how I we rode to Marine drive in Mumbai and then sea link in an open jeep waiving the tri color after Indian won the world cup. What a night it was? The entire city seemed to have come out to celebrate the emphatic win that India had been long denied. People were hugging strangers and distributing sweets in scenes never seen earlier or ever since. More than language, religion or culture, it is Cricket that unites the people of this country. With my other passion, movies - be it in theater or on 3D TV in the comfort of home – coming a distant second.

So plan your cricket watching schedule in advance, plan leaves from office and get a new set top box or DTH service in time. Go through the menus of all good restaurants that give free home delivery and buy beers by the crates. I for one enjoy house and pajama party in the weekends with my closest friends. With unlimited supply of booze and snacks from my multi compartment wonder door refrigerator and live cricket in 3D that gives us goose bumps to see the ball whiz past us. The cheering and shouting from the stands in the stadia is transferred to my living room and several floor down in the apartment; but for once no one is complaining. And the session post cricket is reserved for Horror movies on 3D LED TV; with dim lights. One hour into the movie and I hedge bets on who can go out of the room alone; and even the boys chicken out!

To be sure, gadgets like smart phones, Cinema 3D TVs and wonder door refrigerator do make our lives easier but ultimately it is these moments of friendship, togetherness and shared moments of joy that make life worth living. What do you think? For now your friend Kitty kitten Nisha babi signing off until next time.

2 comments:

  1. I am also cricket crazy like you. Saw match in 3D at uncle's place and it looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LG also holding contest; vote for Virat kohli friends. He is so handsome https://www.facebook.com/lgindiapage/app_331574723602903

    ReplyDelete