Tuesday 18 September 2012

Gaming – A Beginner’s Perspective


When I was buying my LG 3D TV a few months back, one of the considerations that lurked in the back of my mind was an old one – gaming. I have been an off and on gamer – nothing like some of the truly hard core gamers that I have seen. My first introduction to gaming was more than a decade back, when I bought my first PC. It was a decently equipped rig – though not geared for gaming. The dealer loaded a few games for gratis and so started my association with video games.

Video Games
Over the years, I have seen many marquee games introduced and many consoles coming into the market. I always followed the news and just waited at the fringes, waiting for the right time to step into gaming, and always holding myself due to one reason or another – mostly financial.

Even after securing my first job a few years back, I couldn't really take the final plunge – I was mostly busy keeping the job, working long hours and reaching home with barely enough energy to fall down on the bed. However, my current job is quite cool, leaving with me ample time for rest and recreation. And so, the old desire came back – to step into the wide world of gaming!

I initially considered a PC, but later dropped the idea. A cursory perusal of various techie and gaming forums revealed a complicated world of hardware mastery – which is something I was not prepared, nor equipped for. Also, as per my understanding, a decent gaming rig would mean an investment of something like 70-80 thousand rupees. I was OK with the figure, though I didn't really want to spend it all in one place! Also, spending so much on a gaming system would have meant a compromise on my other passion – I was also considering a good home theater system and a large screen TV to go with it.

Sony PS 3
Further research revealed that consoles might just be the best solution for me, and I eventually shortlisted Sony PS 3 for myself. This has eventually turned out to be a good decision – the PS 3 can handle 3D gaming which I really like, plus it can double up as a BD player – that is a substantial saving for me on the HT front. The number of PS 3 compatible titles is obviously huge – in every possible genre, be it FPS, Action, Racing or Role Playing. The biggest bonus is its price, which is very reasonable – less than 20K.

The choice of a console also enabled me to splurge on TV buying, and I decided to buy a LG 3D TV – a model named LG 47LM6400. By choosing a 3D TV, I completed two things together – my HT setup and my Gaming setup. Since then, I have bought and tried many gaming titles, and have developed a particular liking to Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto – like millions of other gamers. Playing these games in 3D is a different experience altogether – you have to see it to believe it!

LG Dual Play Gaming
With my 3D TV, I have got another feature that is absolutely must for avid gamers – and it is called the Dual Play. Those who have played multiplayer games in split screens will understand it best. With split screens, one is always left wanting a bit more, not to mention the cheating that sometimes happens. Dual play is the answer to all those problems. When you enable Dual Play feature, each player gets to wear a Dual Play 3D glass, and sees only his part of the screen – over the whole screen area. Effectively, this means getting two different, complete screens on a single TV, making for more involved and immersive gaming experience.

As I mentioned earlier, I have just started in the world of gaming. However, I am enjoying the experience of gaming, particularly 3D gaming on my LG 3D Smart TV. As and when I try out more games on my 3D TV, I will come back and share the experience with you. Stay tuned!


2 comments:

  1. Gaming is no different than most industries in that it includes many subspecialties and requires people of diverse interests and educational backgrounds, with varying skill sets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is much more democratic than that - I mean you can pick any game of your choice, and start playing it. Whether you become good at it is a different question altogether.

    ReplyDelete