Thursday 23 August 2012

Football – More than just a Sport

Having supported Liverpool FC for over a decade now, it had always been on my “Bucket List” to watch my team in flesh and blood and I was hoping I will be able to tick that off my list when I went to England. It was an official trip to Leicester and since I was going to be there for the weekend, I decided to try my luck and took a Saturday morning train to Merseyside. I was astounded to see Anfield from the outside but my luck ran out when it came to the tickets.

Fortunately for me, an elderly supporter offered to take me to a special screening of the live match at a nearby pub. A bit hesitant at first, I decided to accompany him as there was nothing to lose. A warm welcome awaited us at the pub with club supporters, old and young, hugging us as if we were their family.  A grubby looking old man walks up to us and hands us both a pair of glasses and retorts “I am bloody excited for the lads, gonna batter United at Anfield today. You guys want a pint or what?!” I had this surprised look on my face when Mr. Rhys (the old man I was accompanying) asks me- “What happened young lad. Never seen football in 3D?” 

The next thing I know, we are in this small lounge with  a massive LG 3D screen. The bartender switches to Sky Sports which provides football in 3D in UK. And what happened next was magnificent. The ball getting kicked in front of us, gifted players showing their skills, the goals and the celebrations afterward were so real and life-like as if it was all happening in front of my very own eyes. The good thing was that we won and what made it better was viewing it on a 3D TV.

I have followed football closely enough to know that 3D-transmission of football matches is a common day feature locally but the best we get here in India is ESPN HD. I am highly critical of the fact that 3D is not yet available in India. Many press releases and announcements have been made in regard to this but nothing fruitful till date. The experience I had while watching that match in 3D was immersive and enthralling. The lightweight glasses were obviously a plus. But the passive 3D on which LG has designed its TV was the real show-stealer. This really is a step in the positive direction for 3D viewing.

For die-hard fans like me, Football is not just a game but a way of Life. And I strongly believe that the combination of these next generation 3D TV’s coupled with 3D transmission by channel service providers will slowly but surely pave the way for India’s large fan base of football to enjoy match day action closest to that of watching it live in the stadium itself. 

2 comments:

  1. Being a football fanatic, know what u talking about; though I follows chelsea. Shuks man! no idea I could watch it in 3D! What's passive tv u talk bout?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LG 3D kya sasta hai? If cost less I may think of buying it. Bade hai to aacha hoga.

    ReplyDelete