Monday 27 August 2012

I Miss Dark Knight Rises in 3D


Batman in 3D - I Really Wanted It!
This Sunday morning, I was lazing on the living room sofa in the morning, watching news on my LG Smart TV. I came across a news item about how the biggest Hollywood blockbuster in recent times – Dark Knight Rises – has created plenty of waves in the movies circles. Many reasons for that – primarily because both Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale will not revisit the franchise when it is rebooted. The underlying darkness of the theme has been further stressed and highlighted this time – with a foreboding sense of the good vs. evil that the tale invariably carries.

Another reason for excitement around DKR this time was extensive shooting in the IMAX format – the film has about 1 hour of footage in IMAX - shot with actual IMAX cameras. The format promises greater detail and clarity, and actually delivers on it.

Spiderman in 3D
During a recent trip to Hyderabad, I grabbed the opportunity to catch Dark Knight Rises in Prasad’s – the IMAX Theater in the city. Believe me, the effect of watching the DKR in an actual IMAX theater can be described in just one word – superlative! The actions scenes deserve a special mention – you almost feel like that you are actually present in the midst of all the action – it is very involving. No wonder, a powerful filmmaker of Nolan’s status whole heartedly supports the IMAX format. Some films HAVE to be made in IMAX format for true enjoyment – especially in the action genre. Full credit to Nolan for his vision and commitment to give the best for his viewers.

As I lay watching an old animation movie on my LG 3D TV, I wondered how would have liked to see the Dark Knight in 3D. Frankly, I have been intrigued and frankly disappointed by Nolan’s reluctance to release the Batman movie in 3D. I can understand that shooting in IMAX as well as 3D would have been a tough proposition, not to mention an expensive one. But when it comes to Nolan, one always expects that he will strive for the toughest, and deliver it to audience.

Then there is the recent example of another Hollywood blockbuster, another superhero movie – the Amazing Spiderman. The film was released in a 3D IMAX format – satisfying the fans of all formats. Like I said earlier, some films demand that they be shot in IMAX and/or 3D. Spiderman is such a film, and in my humble opinion, Batman was another superhero that we should have seen in 3D.

So, 3D lovers like me have been left high and dry. Owning the LG 3D TV has really whetted my appetite for 3D movies, and I was secretly hoping that Nolan will relent this time and release in 3D as well. Well, this is not to say that the film is any bit less effective for that reason – far from it. Yet, there is a large section of 3D enthusiasts that would have simply loved to see their favorite superhero in the 3D format as well.

However, all is not lost! I will wait a few months till the inevitable BluRay release of the movie. Once I am able to lay my hands on the Dark Knight Rises BD, I will simply plug it into my player, and watch it on my Cinema LM6400 47” 3D TV. Yes, my LG 3D TV has 2D to 3D conversion feature, and works great on all sorts of videos – even live telecast. So, I will yet have my cake and eat it too! I WILL watch the Dark Knight Rises in 3d!

No comments:

Post a Comment