Tuesday 11 September 2012

Best TV Quiz Shows in India – Over the Years


KBC 6 
Kaun Banega Crorepati is back with a bang – and with Amitabh Bachchan at its helm once again, expect the show to make new records in viewership and prize money. Already, we have the first crorepati – lucky man! As I lazed on my sofa, and watched the first episode of KBC 6 on my LG 3D TV, I could not help but reflect on the extreme popularity that this contest has enjoyed. Started in 2000, the show has probably garnered public attention because of Amitabh’s persona, assisted by the format of the show – which instills the thought that “anyone can win”!

The other day, I was talking to an old friend, and we fondly remembered the school days, and how we (I and him – as a team) had won a district level quiz contest. Later, we also reflected on the evolution of quiz shows in our country – and their passage along with the changing ethos and economy of India.

One quiz show that even teens today would have come across is the “Bournvita Quiz Show”. It is currently hosted by Derek O’Brien – well known quiz master, and now, an MP. What most people probably do not know that Bournvita Quiz Show is also the longest running quiz show in India – it started way back in 1972. For the first few years, it was hosted by Hamid Sayani, and after his death, by Amin Sayani – the legendary, inimitable radio personality.

Siddharth Basu
Another quiz show, which probably only quiz enthusiasts and over 30 people will remember, is one hosted by Siddharth Basu – considered as the father of Indian Quiz scene. The show was simply named – Quiz Time – and was telecast on Doordarshan (how many of us still watch this channel?). We used to watch it on our Black and White Weston TV! Yet, the enjoyment was not the least bit any less than watching an action movie on my present TV – a n LG 3D TV.  I fondly remember watching the show, and hanging on to every question that Siddharth Basu asked.  I also remember Spectrum – another quiz show hosted by him – for participants from 7 nations that constituted SAARC at that time.

More die-hard quiz enthusiasts will also remember another Siddharth Basu Show – Mastermind India. Decidedly high brow in its content and orientation, this remains one of the best ever quiz shows that I have ever watched. Hosted at different heritage sites across India – the show set new benchmarks in quizzing. The rapid fire section was my favorite!


With such a track record, it is only fitting that Siddharth Basu and his company – Synergy Media – is the creator of Kaun Banega Crorepati.

LG 3D TV
Another interesting thing to notice is how the quiz shows themselves have evolved over times – and changed with the changing face of our society and country. The original shows were very good in content and questions, though the overall program packaging was quite bland. Today’s shows are much slicker, well produced and glitzy – and of course – with prize monies that runs into crores!

I also remember how I used to shout the answers I knew at the TV – when the participants took time to answer them, or did not know the answers. My Mom always used to say – Why don’t you go take part in quiz show?  Maybe, one of these days, I will try to enter into KBC – who knows! Till I get to win crores on the show, I will be content with watching Kaun Banega Crorepati on my LG Smart TV.

2 comments:

  1. yes; quiz show are great. but no need for 3d tv, smart tv doing good.

    ReplyDelete