Tuesday 25 September 2012

Watching T20 World Cup on my Smart TV


As I had mentioned in my earlier posts, I had purchased my LG Smart TV just before the Olympics 2012 – mostly to enjoy the sporting action in 3D. I actually enjoyed watching all those fantastic sports performances in 3D – it is a completely different perspective altogether. However, like a majority of Indians, cricket still remains the mainstay of all sports for me – opium of the masses – if you will! The ongoing T 20 World Cup is the first major cricketing event that I have the opportunity to enjoy on my 3D TV.

ICC T20 World Cup 2012

Now, watching in 3D is not the only thing you can do on this TV, it is an excellent HD TV too – with amazing picture quality and color performance. Fortunately for me, I have a Tata Sky HD connection – which has a bouquet of various HD channels. Since the current T20 cricket world cup is being telecast on ESPN STAR Network, I have been able to enjoy it in full HD! And boy, I just love watching cricket in HD – I could never go back to watching my old TV ever again!

Most of all, one thing that you will surely appreciate while watching sports or action on a HD TV, especially on a latest generation Smart TV, is the amazing clarity, and the total freedom from blurry images on screen. Whether in the older CRT TVs or even the newer non-HD LCD panels, a visible blur is always present, diluting the enjoyment somewhat.

Motion Clarity Index - Blur Free Pictures
This problem is taken care of in my LG Smart TV in a very hi-tech and innovative manner. Using a combination of high refresh rate, processor power and scanning backlight, the blur is totally removed – giving you an amazing, realistic picture. The processor actually uses complex algorithms to generate extra frames – virtually – and inserts them between the actual frames being projected. The effect is further enhanced by scanning backlight, which illuminates each frame a number of times, further smoothening the motion. The end result is almost magical – a very realistic rendering of motion on TV.

This effect looks good while watching sports –especially fast paced games like football or car racing. However, everyone may not like this extreme smoothening in all conditions. For example, most movie buffs, including me, like their pictures to look grainy and gritty - just the way the director meant them to be. After all, it all a part of the overall cinematic effect – too much smoothening makes the pictures very realistic – sometimes taking the fun out of movies.

Fortunately, this effect is controllable – you can turn it on or off – as per your taste. So, whenever I watch sports action, I turn the feature on, and when watching movies, I usually turn it off.  I like the way my Smart TV gives me that flexibility – to experience pictures in any way I want! So, I am able to enjoy the T2O Cricket World Cup matches and all the fast paced action that is the hallmark of T20 – in full HD!

11 comments:

  1. Complex algorithms to produce clearer pictures??!!! Now I am in a complex :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. And using highly technical sounding words also justifies premium pricing - if you know what I mean!

      Delete
  2. Watching T20 on a Smart TV? How is it better than a regular LCD TV?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned in the article, most of the current Smart TVs use a combination of high refresh rates, backlight scanning and processor power to smooth out motion by introducing hundreds of extra frames in real time. That means no blur and no judder - which are two problems associated with watching fast sports action on LCD panels.

      Delete
  3. So as per you, the motion response is much better than in a conventional LED. Got to see that first hand to believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead, you will notice the difference immediately!

      Delete
  4. T20 Match with 3D TV, It is very interesting. Now I also want to 3D TV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But the broadcast has to be in HD for this to work; hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, the current series is being indeed telecast in HD (ESPN - Star is an HD Channel).

      However, the LG Smart TV has a feature called upscaling - that can upgrade SD quality pictures to HD quality. This is done with the help of TV processor, that just inserts extra pixels to increase the picture details. Well, the quality of upconverted pictures is not as good as original HD pictures, but quite close to it - and a lot better than the SD quality pictures.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think 3D TV will more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete